Monday, May 07, 2007
Monday Memories - My Little Dog, Sandy
I haven't done one of these Monday memories in a long while, but this morning I was thinking of my childhood pet, Sandy. She was the cutest little thing--half pomeranian and half chiwawa. She was the color of sand; hence, her name Sandy. She wasn't just cute, but she was the sweetest dog I have ever come across. We kept her outdoors her whole life, and when I was a kid, I hated having to go outside to play with her. I wanted her inside with me but that would have never happened in a million years and I knew better than to ask.

She lived to a ripe old age and I can't believe she did because we always fed her cheap dog food (couldn't afford the expensive stuff) but she must have had good genes. All she ever wanted was affection, but she didn't get enough from us. When I was a teen, I was much more absorbed with myself, my friends, my activities, etc to pay enough attention to Sandy. That is the one thing I regret to this day. Sandy deserved to have a better owner than me. I'm not trying to find sympathy for that statement; I really believe that she did deserve a better owner. She was the sweetest dog yet I denied her the affection she needed and wanted when I was older and when she was older. I think that is why I now treat my animals like my children. All they want is love, attention, and affection--that is very little that they are asking for, yet they give us so much joy and the feeling that we humans are needed and wanted. (that is a great feeling to know that you are needed and wanted)

I wish I could go back in time and just hug and play with Sandy once more. She died when I was in FL my freshman year of college. It never occurred to me that she would pass away. She was the playmate that was there for me since I was five or six. Dad did a very nice thing and had her body cremated and her ashes spread over Napa Valley. I think in a way we all regretted that we took for granted the time we had with that sweet little girl. There was never a moment that she denied us her doggie smile, her wagging tail, and the sound of her little paws following behind us wherever we went. Though I regret some things, Sandy will always live in my memory and even in death, she can still put a smile on my face as she was always able to do when she was alive!
posted by Gracey at Monday, May 07, 2007 -
8 Comments:
  • At 5/07/2007 3:20 PM, Blogger Kell said…

    Don't be so hard on yourself! I think this is common as we grow up to take our pets for granted. You're realizing it even more because of your new dog who you're taking good care of and giving a good home.

    Sandy sounds like a real cutie. And that was a nice Monday Memory.

     
  • At 5/07/2007 6:40 PM, Blogger Angela Marie said…

    Ah sweetie, I know how you are feeling. I did the same thing when I was younger. My Blossom was a chi mix, my high-school sweetheart gave to me for my birthday. She got to stay indoors with me, but I didn't treat her any where near how I treat my three I have now. Sophie looks just like her... its kind of spooky.

    We learn... Sandy knows you loved her. The one thing about dogs, they love us unconditionally. Sometimes I believe God is showing us how to through them.

    Don't be hard on yourself. We know now, we do better.

    ^..^

     
  • At 5/08/2007 7:01 AM, Blogger MoJoKat said…

    That is so sweet. Dogs really do love unconditionally. I agree with the earlier comments...you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. We all learn as we get older, and you can honor Sandy by giving your babies a great home now (which is obvious you do!!!) Just treasure the memories of Sandy and remember that she did love you!

    I had the same experiences with my pets in the past. My Minnie is totally spoiled now, though! =-)

     
  • At 5/08/2007 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't believe there is a person alive that isn't/wasn't self absorbed in those growing years.

    I'm sure that Sandy loved you and was happy with any attention that you did give her.

    Let go of the guilt and remember her with the love that you felt.

     
  • At 5/10/2007 12:06 PM, Blogger Chelle Y. said…

    I was so sad when my dog of sixteen years died. I had a hard time getting a new one after that.

     
  • At 5/10/2007 6:25 PM, Blogger Jay said…

    No matter how much love and attention we give our dogs they give more. It's really amazing how great they are.

    I've been out of town all week. But, I'm back now trying to get caught up.

     
  • At 5/10/2007 11:32 PM, Blogger Wanda said…

    Oh how I relate to your story. In fact I had a dog all my childhood until a jr. in highschool when he died. I did a post on Sambo, April 13, 2007. Check it out when you have a minute.
    PS It's so good to have you back. You were missed.

     
  • At 11/10/2008 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good words.

     
Post a Comment
Gracey's Space
Name: Gracey
Home: United States
About Me: Welcom to my site! This is a place for me to write from day to day or sometimes from week to week. It just depends what is happening in my life. Please stay as long as you'd like and hope to hear from you soon as well!
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Blogger Friends
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie