Sunday, May 13, 2007
Accepting Donations If You Can!
5/14/06 - *If you comment, I'll answer everyone when I get home tonight! It's my first day on the new job....yikes! :)

I have gotten myself into trouble again. It all started two days ago when I went walking with Nero through the pasture. All of a sudden, Nero is acting like a lunatic and is practically dragging me. Once I can focus and stop seeing the grass go around and around, I notice that there is a puppy behind us. I asked Jeremy to take Nero back to the house so I can get a closer look at the dog. Once Nero is out of sight, the puppy comes to me and the first thing I notice is he has a blue collar but no identification. He's completely matted with mud from his head to his toes and I can see his ribs sticking out. The first thought that goes through my mind is some

@!@##$@ abandoned this helpless animal. How can I just leave a puppy or any animal for that matter out there to just roam and probably starve to death. My conscience won't let me do nothing. I get a leash for him and take him around the neighborhood to ask if anyone knows this dog, and, of course, everyone says they have never seen it before and all their take is that someone abandoned the poor thing.


After that doesn't work, I take him to our backyard and give him a good long scrub to get the gunk of mud off of him. He's grateful for the bath once he gets to shake and rub in the grass. Next comes the food ordeal. I give him a half can of dog food (Nero's food) which he pretty much swallows in one gulp. He starts to drink as if he hasn't drank in days.


What do I do with this dog? Today I took him to an animal shelter which is a "no kill" shelter and I figured maybe I could work something out with them. I first ask if they have any room for him and the answer is they are completely full and can't take new animals. I then try to go another route and ask them if there is a way to get an exam done, shots, and check for heartworm, etc, for a discounted price or if they can do it and I can "work" off the bill by going to the shelter on my days off and weekends and do whatever they need done. She informs me that they don't have a vet on staff and the vets that do take care of the homeless dogs are vets that volunteer their time to the shelter, and it just wouldn't be possible to take care of this dog when they have 90 dogs and 90 cats in the shelter to take care of. I ask what else I can do because I honestly cannot afford the initial costs of getting everything done for the dog.


She tells me that all she can suggest is if I can't keep him that I will have to call Animal Control, and he would probably be put down because there is just an overwhelming amount of homeless animals in all of the shelters. Could you take him there if you were in my shoes???? I just don't have the heart to do it, but we can't afford the initial vet costs to get his tests done, vaccinations, treatment for heartworm and fleas, and to get neutered.


I never do anything like this but I feel pretty desperate....my friends, is there any way at all that you can spare a few dollars for this puppy???? I can't bear to give him to Animal Control but I know it's also not fair to keep him without getting him checked with a vet and get all the necessary things that have to be done. Most of you know me and I hope you know I'm honest, so when I ask for some help, it is completely out of compassion and desperation to save this pup. I don't know how old he is exactly, but he's definitely still a pup cuz he doesn't have that mature look to him and he's very clumsy with his long legs. I don't think he's grown into himself yet.


Well, I don't want to beg but I am in a way I know. Of course, I won't be upset if you can't help, but if you can at all, I would be extremely grateful and I'll make sure that you get a thank you note from the puppy too! :)


Thanks for listening!



posted by Gracey at Sunday, May 13, 2007 -
10 Comments:
  • At 5/13/2007 5:55 PM, Blogger Wanda said…

    Gracey, email me your address and I will send you a donation. My email is on my profile.
    This breaks my heart too..I'm a huge animal lover.
    You are such a good and sweet person, Gracy.

     
  • At 5/13/2007 7:25 PM, Blogger Jay said…

    Oh the poor puppy. I wonder if Jer could talk to people on the base and see if anyone would like a dog? Or maybe check online for any other "no kill" shelters in the are or in other towns nearby? Maybe call a few vets offices and ask them if they know of people looking for another dog?

     
  • At 5/13/2007 7:55 PM, Blogger Gracey said…

    Wanda: I already emailed you but again, thank you so much!

    Jay: There are no other "no kill" shelters in this area (already checked). I did call a few vet offices too on Saturday (the ones that were open) and they said I can put up a flyer but that was about all. I've come across this type of thing before when we rescued a kitten last year and nobody wanted him unless he was already up to date on tests, vaccines, and all the other stuff. Jer was going to ask around but I highly doubt anyone will take the pup "as is" if you know what I mean.

     
  • At 5/14/2007 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grace,

    You were always the girl with the big heart, even though you didn't want anyone to know. E-mail me your address and I will send you some money.

    Diana Cassinelli Aird
    diana_cassinelli@yahoo.com

     
  • At 5/14/2007 4:54 AM, Blogger Gracey said…

    Diane: I just emailed you and thank you so much! So grateful for your help! I always did try to hide my sensitivity as a teen; felt like I had to be tough and that nothing bothered me...that barrier has broken most of the way even though I'm tough when I have to be! :)

     
  • At 5/14/2007 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grace, you know my heart and how I can't say no to helping others :) I will definitely help you out! You can count me in on this. The poor little fella. I'm so glad there are still people in the world like you who have a big heart.

     
  • At 5/14/2007 2:48 PM, Blogger FishFam said…

    Gracey, I can't tell you how many times I have been in your shoes..and no, I could never take an abandoned animal to a shelter. I will GLADLY donate to his fund. If you already have received enough to cover the vet expenses you can use the extra for helping to find his new home or to get him "fixed" while he is still a pup. Email me your address, or if you have a paypal account send it, and I'll send it asap.

     
  • At 5/14/2007 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gracey you have such a good heart.

    The contact form that should be on my blog doesn't seem to be there so try this to send me your addy http://susansmusings.wordpress.com/contact-me/

     
  • At 5/14/2007 5:08 PM, Blogger Gracey said…

    Lauren: I think you are the one with the big heart! Thanks so much, friend...very grateful.

    Tracy: I don't have your email address and I didn't see it on your profile...you can email me at gracey427@hotmail.com THANK YOU!

    Susan: Everyone that is donating to help all have big, great hearts and I'm sooooo very grateful to you all!

     
  • At 5/14/2007 8:13 PM, Blogger Angela Marie said…

    Ah Gracey! You can count me in too! e-mail me your address. It's in my profile sweetie....

     
Post a Comment
Gracey's Space
Name: Gracey
Home: United States
About Me: Welcom to my site! This is a place for me to write from day to day or sometimes from week to week. It just depends what is happening in my life. Please stay as long as you'd like and hope to hear from you soon as well!
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Blogger Friends
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie