Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Thoughts.....
This marriage is not just about me. I have to remind myself of that fact when I start getting upset with things. Jeremy and I have a very good healthy marriage I believe. I believe we do because we put each other above ourselves in it. I think to keep a healthy marriage one must not lose themselves either, but the most important part is not to always have it be about ME, ME, and more of ME! As a couple, we also strive to keep the foundation of our marriage centered around God. Jesus Christ was the prime example of what we need to strive to be both for ourselves individually and also as one in a marriage. Sometimes I lose sight of unselfishniess and become what I despise, selfish and self-centered. It is human nature to think mainly on the welfare of one self and to die to self each day can be very hard at times. The thoughts come into mind like an overflowing fountain...."How will this make ME happy?, What can I get out of this?, and so on....

But if you truly love someone, you stop yourself from it all being about YOU and you think of that other person. How can you make THEM Happy? What is it THEY need from you instead of it being reversed around to What is it that I need them to do for me. I am not only talking of a marriage relationship--this can be applied to friendships, family relationships, etc.

I believe each person still needs to take time for themselves to be healthy inside and out, but there has to be a balance. Our society today is all about ME! We are a selfish generation, mainly thinking of only our needs and no one else.

I sometimes am discouraged to see our nation's divorce rate. I understand there are special circumstances for some --adultry, spousal abuse emotionally, mentally, or physically, husband/wife walking out--the fact of the matter is people's selfishness. It's very plain and simple because that is the root of it all.

I hope not to be one of those people that puts myself, my needs, my wants above everyone else and everything and the end results being damaged relationships and damaged self. May God teach me every day to die to my own selfishness and to open my eyes to a world full of people that are in need of love. "Now abide faith, hope and love. For the greatest of these is Love."
posted by Gracey at Wednesday, January 31, 2007 -
13 Comments:
  • At 1/31/2007 10:57 AM, Blogger Jay said…

    You know, one of the reasons I'm not married is that I'm probably too selfish for it to be a good marriage.

    There are many good reasons for divorces, but I think most of them are because people aren't willing to actually work at it. And like you said, because of selfishness.

     
  • At 1/31/2007 1:43 PM, Blogger turquoise cro said…

    Hey Gracie! This HEART give-away really took off! Here is a link to a woman's giveaway and she has some other Blogs there, just click on their names! so YOU can comment on some other Blogs to win! I don't know how to link(sigh) Isn't this great? It's not all about ME in the Bloggie world! LOL and there's another link I could give you if you had a few $$$ to spare for gloves and hats for a distant country! Just let me know! Don't be shy, sign up for the heart gifts!http://heartofthenest.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 1/31/2007 1:46 PM, Blogger turquoise cro said…

    In my excitement I spelled your name wrong! Sorry! Gracey!!! I seeeee my name on your sidebar, give me some time to get yours on mine! This pc stuff isn't my expertise! lol

     
  • At 1/31/2007 2:48 PM, Blogger Gracey said…

    Jay: At least you know that if you were married it probably wouldn't be a good one....you aren't selfish to get into a marriage just do it. So that is good!

    Chelle: Yes, I think I am learning things about married life very early on and I will remind myself of this post when I have those times.

    Cinda: I got to check out two of the sites....that is really a very neat idea. Such creative people you all are! I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to do....I'm not very artistic or creative like you guys.

     
  • At 1/31/2007 7:02 PM, Blogger Dan said…

    I sometimes am discouraged to see our nation's divorce rate.

    Gandhi said that we must be the change we want to see in the world. So let's make our marriages work and not worry about all of the others. My wife and I have been married happily for 13 years (14 this year).

    You've gotten past the first year which is a milestone. Congratulations!

     
  • At 2/01/2007 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gracey, you totally have the right idea. I think the first few years are the worst...you are getting over the "crazy in love" feeling and learning to actually live with each other and truely become partners.

    Last night, Shaun and I were just talking about how we've been married to each other for nearly half of our lives and that it's really hard to remember when we weren't married.

     
  • At 2/01/2007 10:31 AM, Blogger Reforming Baptist said…

    Hey Grace,

    Good thoughts. Keep it up.

    Love,

    Will

     
  • At 2/01/2007 1:03 PM, Blogger Kell said…

    Great post, and so heartfelt.

    It's an unfortunate and sad fact that divorce rates are too high, especially in the military. But it sounds like you guys are on the right track. Remember to keep communication lines open about what you need. I keep reminding my hubby and me that we're not mindreaders and that even though we've been married almost 17 years and know each other very well, we can still learn from each other.

     
  • At 2/01/2007 4:08 PM, Blogger zuzu said…

    Hi Gracey! =^..^=

    I'm here through another blog ... and I want to invite you to be part of the Valentines from the heART giveaway! You don't have to give anything more than yourself ... Just stop by as many blogs that you wish ... and say hello!

    Even if you don't win any of the prizes ... That isn't what it really is all about. It's about touching others with a little joy. Making someone happy!

    It all started ...
    Well, I hope you might find time to stop by my blog (zUzU) and read all about what one AMAZING woman has done this time (Sandy is always doing something fantastic) ... and just because her heart wanted to share something she made with another -- to make them smile. It SNOWBALLED into one of the neatest events ever!

    The orginal blog where it all began is Sandy's ART TEA LIFE! If you can only go to one ... go there!!

    I hope you will stop by and toss your name in the teacup at my blog ... And if you want to take part in the heARTfest ... Please DO! You don't have to make the gift ... It just needs to be from your heART that you offer it. It's the THOUGHT that counts!

    =^..^= love, zU

     
  • At 2/03/2007 3:26 AM, Blogger abcd said…

    Lovely. I can't agree more.
    You live in other's life completely, that's what we called 'married'

     
  • At 2/03/2007 8:22 PM, Blogger Angela Marie said…

    How old are you?!! How long have you been married?! Such wise words!

    Great Post!!

     
  • At 2/04/2007 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are right with your line of thinking. It takes commitment to keep a happy marriage going. My mother once said that to keep a good marriage going, each person in that marriage must give into the other ones wishes, at least 75% of the time. In other words, let them be right; if they are happy, you will eventually be also., but the road has to go both ways. I have been married for 44 yrs now and it is a rule that works. She also said "He thinks he is the boss, because I let him think that!

     
  • At 2/04/2007 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are right with your line of thinking. It takes commitment to keep a happy marriage going. My mother once said that to keep a good marriage going, each person in that marriage must give into the other ones wishes, at least 75% of the time. In other words, let them be right; if they are happy, you will eventually be also., but the road has to go both ways. I have been married for 44 yrs now and it is a rule that works. She also said "He thinks he is the boss, because I let him think that!

     
Post a Comment
Gracey's Space
Name: Gracey
Home: United States
About Me: Welcom to my site! This is a place for me to write from day to day or sometimes from week to week. It just depends what is happening in my life. Please stay as long as you'd like and hope to hear from you soon as well!
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Blogger Friends
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie