Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Happy Birthday, Mom!

Yesterday was my mom's actual birthday, but since I didn't blog yesterday, I thought I would mention it today. Do you ever look at your parents or think about them, and in your mind, you don't see them any older than their 30's or maybe early 40's? My mom isn't old by any means. She had me at an early age, and I know I may be treading on thin ice here talking about age, but it is all meant to be endearing. Growing in years is inevitable. It's harder for some more than others. My mom has taken growing older very well. She has always taken care of herself and always looked pretty. I think I have become like her in many ways. I really won't leave the house unless I look presentable. The only time you will see me without makeup and my hair not looking so good is if I'm going to the gym or not feeling well. I go for the classier look when it comes to apparel and I love jewelry, just like mom. I was never embarrassed by mom. Other mothers would drop their kids off at school still with rollers on their head or just look like they had woken up. I was so glad my mom always made sure she looked nice wherever she went.


Mom was strict and demanded obedience and respect, but even with that strictness she still had a softness and love about her. In some things, I knew to ask my mom first before my dad because she was more soft about things, but then it would backfire because mom would ask that question that every child dreaded...."Did you ask your dad?" Darn it! Dad was a softy too at times so I usually was able to do whatever it was that I wanted to.
I remember on hot summer days the sound of the ice cream man's truck coming down our cul de sac and running as fast as my legs could carry me back to the house. "Mom, mom, can I please have some money for ice cream?" "Pppppllllleeeeaaaasssseee!!!!" Most often than not, I would get a quarter or fifty cents to get something, but I do remember a few times when mom said no too. What disappointment that was but when I did get the money for ice cream, it was always a treat and it didn't turn out to be something I expected to get each and every time.
My mother's softness was demonstrated one warm afternoon in 1995. My brother had taken me to the dentist and as I was going up the stairs to the office, I almost tripped on this tiny bundle of fur. Right on the step was this malnutritioned runt of a kitten. She had some hard looking stuff over her eyes and she seemed to be blind. When I got out of the dentist she was still sitting there looking pathetic. I got in the car with my brother and pleaded her case to him to let me take her in the car. Will was mean and said...."There is no way I'm letting that thing in my car!" I was so mad at him all the way home. As soon as he pulled in our driveway, I jumped out of the car and ran straight to my mom. Mom was in her bathroom taking a curling iron to her hair and I told my mom about the poor destitute kitty. I wanted to slap my brother across the head for being so heartless, but my mom did that for me, figuratively speaking. She didn't actually slap him but she did get a little upset with him and told him, "You drive your sister back there and bring that kitten home this instant." He was not a happy camper and the whole way back with the kitten he made mean remarks about bringing home "that ugly thing". Well, that "ugly thing" got better with many antibiotics and she is still alive living with my mom. My mom was my hero that day.
I could go on and on about my mom, but I don't think this page could hold everything that is stored in my memories. I just want to say that I love you, Mom and thanks for making my childhood a happy one! Happy Birthday!
posted by Gracey at Tuesday, January 16, 2007 -
9 Comments:
  • At 1/16/2007 6:43 AM, Blogger FishFam said…

    Gracey, I loved this post! Your Mom sounds like a terrific lady. What made me like this post so much is thinking about my own Mom. I tend to find her overbearing, needy, and dramatic at times...but your post reminded me how beautiful, thoughtful, and loving she is too...and that I am lucky to have her around and in my life. Thanks for that!!

     
  • At 1/16/2007 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a sweet and touching tribute to your mom for her birthday. I am sure she is very proud to have you as a daughter. :-) I am lucky to have a great mom too, it can make all the difference in life! (Of course, my dad is great too, but that isn't what we were talking abuot here.)

    I hear you on the looking presentable when coming to your child's school. My son is always stunned at the way some of the moms look when they come to get their kids. He'll say things like "Mom, they have their SLIPPERS on." LOL

    Hope you are having a great day Gracey!

     
  • At 1/16/2007 7:39 AM, Blogger Jay said…

    Happy Birthday to Gracey's mom!

    That was a really nice post.

     
  • At 1/16/2007 8:03 AM, Blogger Kell said…

    What a wonderful post and lovely tribute. Happy Birthday to your mom!

     
  • At 1/16/2007 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday to your lovely mom Gracey. It sounds like she's an awesome lady.

     
  • At 1/16/2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Tink said…

    Happy Birthday Gracey's Mom!!

    She made him take you back... That's awesome. I see where you get your big heart now. :)

     
  • At 1/16/2007 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grace,

    Please tell you mother Happy Birthday for me. Through all of the years we have known each other, I never saw you mother once that she was not the perfect woman. Even though we are very close in age I always looked up to her.

    Diana

     
  • At 1/16/2007 7:52 PM, Blogger Reforming Baptist said…

    Great post Grace!
    Our mom is the best! She is the perfect lady, like Diana said.

    I'll never forget that trip to the dentist's office..(I was just there walking up those steps a couple days ago) Mom did teach me a thing or two about compassion. Poor little kitty is now all grown up and a very pretty cat with an attitude now! Happy Birthday Mom!! I love you too.

     
  • At 1/17/2007 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gracey

    Just wait 22 years, and you'll look back and be amazed at how old you and I are! Hopefully, we'll be just as young at heart that we are now....course, we sit around and read books all day and night, so the phrase "young at heart" may have a different meaning to different people.

    JJ Supreme

     
Post a Comment
Gracey's Space
Name: Gracey
Home: United States
About Me: Welcom to my site! This is a place for me to write from day to day or sometimes from week to week. It just depends what is happening in my life. Please stay as long as you'd like and hope to hear from you soon as well!
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Blogger Friends
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie