Monday, January 29, 2007
Monday Memories - Engaged!
I already knew it was coming at some point because we had talked about getting married, but I just didn't know when or how he was going to do it. Our engagement story really wasn't too exciting, not like the ones you see on TV, but what makes this story funny, loving, and ironic is how many times poor Jeremy tried to pop the question but something always seemed to get in the way. Some people have said, "Maybe it was a sign for you guys not to be married." It may have looked like that, if you believe in superstition, but Jer and I have a really great relationship so we just laugh at all the many things that kept hindering him from asking me to be his wife.

The first time he tried to pop the question, it was only hindered by his own fear. He had taken me to my favorite restaurant. We had gotten all dressed up and he was sitting there across from me looking all handsome in his suit. I had no idea that he had the diamond ring in his pant pocket. He would have definitely caught me by surprise if he just would have done it that night. Well, he didn't and you want to know why??? To people that know me, you know I would never do this. But he had in his mind that if he got down on one knee there in the restaurant I was going to make a big scene crying and blubbering like a fool all over him and heaven forbid, everyone would be staring at us. Does that sound like me at all??? I am one of those people that hate to make scenes and hate to have attention drawn to me, but he had it in his mind that ALL girls did this when they were asked. He had just watched to many movies when he was a child! So, he chickened out at that moment, but he had told himself that we could take a walk along the beach under the moonlight and he would ask me there. Well, this time I was the party pooper and when he suggested we take a walk on the beach, I declined stating that it was too windy and I really didn't feel like having my hair that took me forever to do getting completely messed up. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! If I had only known then...... I don't even remember what we did after dinner but I do know that he didn't pop the question that night.

He was still determined to get me to the beach for his big moment a few days later. But what he didn't know was a hurricane was going to hit very soon, so he put his plans on hold as we evacuated our city. We were evacuated for almost five days, and we didn't know what the damage was going to be like when we got back, but Jer had it in his mind that he was still doing it on the beach. Well, that fizzled out very quickly when we got back and saw that we had no beach left, literally. It was terrible and I was pretty sad. Our beach was pretty much gone! A couple weeks later the city had these huge machines shooting out sand to try to rebuild our beaches. It was pretty depressing to see the city really torn apart.

After looking at the beaches and driving around the little city, we decided we better look at the damage that it had done to his house. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad at all. A little bit of flooding but it only damaged his rugs and some damage outside of the house but that was it. We even had electricity and most of the rest of the city did not so we were pretty happy! It was then that Jer decided to pop the question that night. His plan was going to be that he would cook me dinner since we had electricity and we would have a candlelight dinner at his place and he would do it there. He asked if I wanted to try to find a store that was open so we could get some groceries and I thought sure, why not. We finally found a place that was open but I think the only thing we managed to buy was spaghetti and sauce. Couldn't expect any fresh meats with everything that had happened. We were happy just to have that since we had spent the previous four days at our evacuation spot with no electricity and eating whatever we could eat that wasn't spoiled. Yep, those were some good times!

As we drove up to his house, he turns to me and asks, "Wasn't my light outside on when we first came here?" I told him I thought it was, but I wasn't sure. I had never heard him sound so defeated, "Oh no, I don't think we have electricity anymore." Sure enough, we didn't. Of course, I didn't know about his many attempts that were always ruined so I didn't know why he seemed to be so frustrated and upset about the electricity going out now. It was very out of his character to be upset about something like that; he's so "go with the flow" kind of man. I said something along the lines of, "It's okay. If this is about dinner being ruined now, we can try to find a restaurant that is open, even if it is McDonalds." I remember sitting on the couch and asking him, "So, what do you want to do now?" He just shook his head and kind of laughed and said, "I have been trying to do this for the past two weeks but something has always gotten in the way. I should have made you walk on the beach with me that night. Oh well, I think I'm done trying so I'm doing it now, here it goes." All I remember in that split second is him getting on his knee and making a little speech about how I made him a better man and how he loved me. And then he said those words every girl dreams about "Will you marry me?"

I didn't respond the way he imagined me to respond with the crying and blubbering. I'm not that type of person except when things are really sad then I tend to cry. I just had a huge smile on my face and said, "YES!" and jumped in his arms. Now that I look back at our "engagement story", it's not much to tell about--no romantic story, no fireworks bursting in the air, no plane going by with a sign that says 'Grace, will you marry me?' but when I remember the events surrounding our engagement, I just have to smile. I think our story has character and it's something that I always laugh first when someone says, "How and when did you guys get engaged?" Are you sure you want to know? It's kind of a long story........

I just took this pic of him last night and I think he's so handsome in his fancy uniform!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
posted by Gracey at Monday, January 29, 2007 -
11 Comments:
  • At 1/29/2007 7:43 AM, Blogger Jay said…

    Oh man. Poor guy. Every time he had it all planned out something got in the way. I'm glad he finally just said "oh what the heck" and did it. Goodness only knows what would have ruined his next big plan.

     
  • At 1/29/2007 7:53 AM, Blogger MoJoKat said…

    That is so sweet! The poor guy, I can only imagine how frustrated he musta been by that point, but it makes for a truly unique engagement story and one you will remember forever!

    Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 1/29/2007 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gracey

    Asking you to marry me was extremely nerve-wracking! Since I was a little boy, U've always assumed that a giant scene would come of it, so I decided it best to wait until we were alone. I'm just glad you said yes...but you know what? I didn't really understand the ramifications of proposing...I remember immediately afterward you called your mom and dad, and I talked with them, and I called my parents and you talked to them....I never figured that "the news" had to get out so quickly. It changed everything, didn't it?

    General Sherman

     
  • At 1/29/2007 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This only goes to show what true grit and determination he has. I think this is a much more romantic story than the ones with the ring in the desert and roses galore...it's real!

     
  • At 1/29/2007 6:39 PM, Blogger abcd said…

    Gracey, this is a simply sweet, touchy and romantic story. It worth more than thousands stock of roses.

     
  • At 1/29/2007 6:43 PM, Blogger Gracey said…

    Yes, I think you are right....it is a romantic story once you think about all the ways he tried but failed and then he just threw up his hands and said, 'the heck with it!' It makes me laugh very much! I love him to pieces!!!

     
  • At 1/30/2007 1:20 AM, Blogger Jay said…

    That's sweet, because it was personal, and really, what more could you want?

     
  • At 1/30/2007 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a sweet memory....and a great guy. And yes, VERY handsome too.
    Tracy (fish-having problems logging in...)

     
  • At 1/30/2007 10:11 AM, Blogger turquoise cro said…

    AhhHHHH! Will You Marry Me? What great words! altho when I think back on it, I think my Jerry just matter of factly told me we were getting married! LOL No questions asked! LOL Your Jer looks very handsome in his uniform! xo, Cinda ps. I answered your question on my Blog under that pic! You should try it!

     
  • At 1/31/2007 8:55 AM, Blogger Tink said…

    Are you kidding me? That's the best kind of engagement story: unique and full of character!

     
  • At 2/03/2007 8:28 PM, Blogger Angela Marie said…

    What a wonderful, romantic story!
    And a handsome man in a suit!

     
Post a Comment
Gracey's Space
Name: Gracey
Home: United States
About Me: Welcom to my site! This is a place for me to write from day to day or sometimes from week to week. It just depends what is happening in my life. Please stay as long as you'd like and hope to hear from you soon as well!
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Blogger Friends
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie