Friday, October 27, 2006
Exploring Columbia






I finally was able to get some of the pictures uploaded on here. If they are too small jus click on each on of them and you'll see a better view. Anyway, it has been fun exploring downtown Columbia. This city is full of historic significance from the Civil War. We went to a concert at Trinity Episcopal Church which was built in the early 1800's. They have these old fashioned boxed in pews where you have to open this little door just to get into a pew. I guess it keeps the children in, but I highly doubt back in the old days there were little brats terrorizing the church service. Right next to the church is a very old graveyard and there are many Civil War soldiers that died in battle buried there. It was extremely interesting to read the headstones. Most of them told a short story about their lives--where they were born, what battles they fought in, what battles they died in, or what they did after the war. I found it fascinating.

Yesterday we had a tour of the Governor's Mansion. The Governor of SC and his family reside in the house, but their living quarters are really upstairs. We were able to tour the downstairs where they usually hold special events. The furniture is old and historical and there are historical paintings as well. They have their own private cook, of course, but I still couldn't imagine having someone cook for me whenever I want. It must be great! We were also able to walk around their gardens and it was just beautiful. There were no flowers blooming since it is winter, but the trees and plants were nice to walk through and observe the beauty.

We also visited the state capitol building. It was very historic looking as well and quite pretty inside. But I have to say that the CA state capitol is the most beautiful I've seen and I've seen quite a few from alot of different states.

Well, hopefully I'll be able to get the pictures up sometime....I'll keep trying.
posted by Gracey at Friday, October 27, 2006 -
1 Comments:
  • At 10/27/2006 11:48 AM, Blogger Reforming Baptist said…

    That sounds so cool. I love history. Those old churches are really interesting too. We've come a long way since then. Not all of it good either. I can't wait to see your pictures when you get them up.

     
Post a Comment
Gracey's Space
Name: Gracey
Home: United States
About Me: Welcom to my site! This is a place for me to write from day to day or sometimes from week to week. It just depends what is happening in my life. Please stay as long as you'd like and hope to hear from you soon as well!
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Blogger Friends
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie