Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Laughing and Crying All At The Same Time
Tonight I feel numb. I've been lying awake next to my husband with all kinds of thoughts going through my mind. First I start to quietly giggle because I think of some funny thing he did earlier today, then that laugh turns into just a smile as my thoughts turn to the big grin he gave me when he got home today, and then all of a sudden the tears start as I know in just a few short days that smile will not be there to greet me at the door. The tears are running as I'm writing this and I can barely see the screen. There are times when I feel very strong and other times when I feel very weak and vulnerable. The weak and vulnerable time is at this exact moment. During the day, I'm a strong woman who can handle anything that comes her way, but it's on nights like these when the scared little girl comes out from hiding. I know it will take time to adjust and to learn to live without him by my side, but that journey isn't going to be easy.

You may be thinking I'm sounding as if he's dead, but I do not have the guarantee that he will come back to me alive either. I pray and hope that he will but there is no guarantee. There is no guarantee of that for anyone. Most of the time, I do not think of it, but there are times it creeps up and invades my thoughts for a moment or two, and then I push it back as far as it will go and hope it doesn't return for a long while.

As much as I tried to prepare myself, it never is enough. Some people's thoughts are "Well, you knew what you were signing up for when you married him." How can anyone know what they are really "signing up" for when you haven't ever experienced it before? I don't regret my decision to marry this man one bit and would do it in a heartbeat again if given the choice. I'm not looking for sympathy or a pat on the back; I just needed to write, vent, and let go..... And in a way, I actually feel a little bit better to have let some of it out! Tomorrow will be another day--another day to be strong and weak; another day to laugh and cry--and, you know, I think that is alright!
posted by Gracey at Wednesday, October 31, 2007 -
10 Comments:
  • At 11/01/2007 12:08 AM, Blogger turquoise cro said…

    O! Gracey! I'm soOOOOOOoo sorry YOU have to go through this!!! No man or woman should have to go off to a war! I WISH everyone involved with this would just have new brains and THINK PEACE AND LOVE!!! but we don't live in a perfect world! We have to send our good men and women off to keep us safe!All I can do here in West Virginia is pray for YOU and YOURS!!!and to KEEP Jer SAFE! I will start right NOW tonight! Sweet Dreams sweet girly! Love and prayers, Cinda (((((Gracey&Jer)))))) Give that man of yours a BIG OLD BEAR HUG for me!!!

     
  • At 11/01/2007 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gracey,
    I understand somewhat of your feelings. My dad was a military man and was gone from us a lot. My mother kept things going but I am sure it was extremely lonely for her. As one of the children I just knew I missed my dad. When he left for Germany during the Berlin Crisis we didn't know what to expect.
    My heart goes out to you. We can all be very proud of your husband though. I will pray for his safe return to you.
    Hang in there girl!

     
  • At 11/01/2007 4:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Vent away, that's what we're here for!

    It's perfectly normal to be going through a rollercoaster of emotions right now. I know how you're feeling as I've been through it.

    I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

     
  • At 11/02/2007 7:45 AM, Blogger Kell said…

    Of course you're feeling this way. I would be worried if you weren't. And it's the quite moments that these feeling rear their ugly head and you wonder if you can really do this. But you can. I can't explain it, but something kicks in and you realize you have to be strong for him, your family, but most of all yourself. Just trust that he has had great training, and he's going to do everything to be safe. Hang in there. Oh, and don't be shy about sharing these feeling with some of the other wives--they'll be a great source of support for you.

     
  • At 11/02/2007 2:51 PM, Blogger Chelle Y. said…

    Oh, my sweet, Gracey!
    I have been thinking of you so much! I cannot stand it when one of my "kids" hurts and I wish so much I could take that hurt away from you!

    Brendan and I will be praying for Jer. I wish you could come here for a few days. We could hang out together! I have an extra room! :)

     
  • At 11/03/2007 1:57 AM, Blogger Reforming Baptist said…

    Hey Grace,

    The best cure for this is a good dose of the sovereignty of God. Nothing calms my restless spirit more than knowing that God has declared the beginning from the end and that all that will happen has already happened in His eternal perspective for my good and especially for His glory. While Jeremy is gone, I suggest that you take every lonely minute in the Word (accompanied by some good theological books to help you) and get to know God very intimately. It's really true that...

    "there's not a Friend like the lowly Jesus, no not one, no not one. None else can cure all my soul's diseases no not one, no not one. Jesus knows all about my troubles, He will guide till the day is done..."

     
  • At 11/06/2007 5:43 PM, Blogger MoJoKat said…

    I can't imagine all of the emotions you are going through, but don't be ashamed by them, they're all natural, and its ok for you to feel the way you do. Vent, cry, rejoice, laugh, whatever...you're human, and it's allowed! Just remember you're never truly alone! I have you and Jeremy in my prayers and so does my family!
    Hang in there, my friend, and if there is ANYthing at all we can do, just let us know, ok!

     
  • At 11/07/2007 2:09 PM, Blogger Tink said…

    Ok, you had an IDEA of what this would be like. But you in no way DESERVE to feel this way. You two will get through this girl. You're a strong woman with a huge heart who stands by her man at all costs. There will be rewards for this, I swear. ((HUG))

     
  • At 11/14/2007 2:28 PM, Blogger FishFam said…

    Gracey, I have been back to your blog everyday since you posted - wanting to write you a comment that would be meaningful or bring you some comfort. I cannot even imagine what you must be feeling. All I can do is offer you any support that I can give. If you need a friend, you have on in SA anyday. I'll jump in the car and meet you somewhere. I will pray that Jerry comes home to you and you both will have a wonderful life growing old together.

     
  • At 1/04/2008 9:57 PM, Blogger Angela Marie said…

    I do understand from a moms perspective.
    I am praying for you and yours sweetie.

    big hugs

     
Post a Comment
Gracey's Space
Name: Gracey
Home: United States
About Me: Welcom to my site! This is a place for me to write from day to day or sometimes from week to week. It just depends what is happening in my life. Please stay as long as you'd like and hope to hear from you soon as well!
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Blogger Friends
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie